"Amanda McKinney is an author to watch out for..."
Award-winning author of romantic suspense and mystery, Amanda McKinney wrote her debut novel, LETHAL LEGACY, after walking away from her career to become a writer and stay-at-home mom. Her books include the BERRY SPRINGS SERIES and the BLACK ROSE MYSTERY SERIES, with many more to come.
Set in small, Southern towns, Amanda’s books are page-turning murder mysteries peppered with steamy romance. Amanda is a member of Romance Writers of America, International Thriller Writers and Sisters in Crime. She lives in Arkansas with her handsome husband, two beautiful boys, and three obnoxious dogs.
25 Fun Facts
1. Favorite Movie? Braveheart, Lord of the Rings, Sound of Music, Dumb and Dumber
2. Favorite Song? Tuesday’s Gone, Lynyrd Skynyrd
3. Favorite Singer/Band? Tom Petty, Willie Nelson, Garth Brooks, and …………Britney Spears. Dammit.
4. Who is your hero? My mom, hands-down.
5. If you could live anywhere, where would it be? I’m a Southern girl through and through, but I’ve always daydreamed about moving up north, deep in the mountains—Wyoming or Montana, maybe? I’m not a fan of hot weather (or humidity), and I love the snow.
6. What would you change about yourself if you could? Definitely, more patience. I’m hardwired to have a lot on my plate, and relaxing does not come very easily to me. Although, as I get older (and especially now that I have kiddos), I’m doing a lot better with the patience thing. I use breathing techniques (thank you, yoga) when I’m feeling particularly impatient or restless.
7. What motivates you to work hard? My intense desire to make the most of this short time we have here on earth.
8. Favorite book? Whoa… based on the amount of time I’ve pondered this question, I’m going to say it’s impossible to answer. I’d like it to be some award-winning, epic book like War and Peace (so I sound really smart), but honestly, I just love stories that draw me in, and make me escape for a bit. I'm a sucker for suspense and romance. A few books that come to mind are The Search and The Witness by Nora Roberts, and the first book of her In Death Series, Naked in Death. I’m also a huge fan of Laura Griffin’s Tracers Series; those books are so fun to read.
9. Favorite author? Nora Roberts
10. What did you want to be when you were little? A marine biologist, a veterinarian, or an archeologist. So, I became a writer.
11. Favorite season? Fall!
12. Favorite holiday? Christmas!
13. Spontaneity or structure? I laughed out loud when I read this—definitely structure. I believe life runs much more smoothly with plans, schedules and routines. Spontaneity scares the shit out of me.
14. If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be? Chili. I’m serious.
15. Biggest pet peeve? Laziness. And people who consider themselves “always the victim”. Get off your ass and do something about it.
16. Introvert or extrovert? Introvert. I’m a fiercely private person (although this new career path has pushed me out of that comfort zone a bit), and a homebody. I’m someone who needs total alone-time every once in a while or I’ll go nuts.
17. Guilty pleasure? Booze, Chocolate, Doritos…
18. Five things you can't live without? Aside from my family of course: Cell phone, laptop (so I can write), a cross necklace that my mom gave me, vodka, and under-eye concealer. Damn the dark circles.
19. What’s the first thing you do when you wake up? COFFEE—I’m a raging bitch without it. I actually have a hardcore morning ritual (did I mention I like routines?). I get up at 4:30 a.m. every day, get my coffee, and watch the Weather Channel for a while, and then workout before the kids wake.
20. Describe yourself in 5 words. Ambitious, Loyal, Passionate, Hardworking, Confident
21. Top 3 things on your bucket list? Raise my boys to be good Southern gentlemen, travel the world, and pass my fifty-year wedding anniversary with my husband. And win the lottery.
22. What makes you wildly happy? It involves my husband.
23. Biggest fear? Not being there when my kids need me.
24. What’s the most valuable life lesson you’ve ever learned? Always listen to your gut—thanks, mama.
25. Most influential person in your life? My mom, forever and ever. Everything good that I am is because of her.